GreeNet Symposium - SGNC 2014 : Symposium on Green Networking and Computing
- Category: Symposium
Conference is technically co-sponsored by the IEEE Communication Society (ComSoc) and the Symposium is organized in cooperation with the IEEE ComSoc Technical Committee on Green Communications and Computing (TCGCC).
Antonio Capone: email@example.com (Politecnico di Milano, DEI, Italy)
Josip Lorincz: firstname.lastname@example.org (University of Split, FESB, Croatia)-Symposium contact person
The 5th Symposium on "Green Networking and Computing" (SGNC 2014) will be held in the frame of the 22nd International Conference on Software, Telecommunications, and Computer Networks (SoftCOM 2014). Since 2010, the Symposium is organised in the frame of the SoftCOM conference which will take place on September 17-19, 2014 in the attractive ambience of the Croatian side of Adriatic coast. In the frame of Symposium, the fifth Special Session on green networking, invited speeches, tutorials and business forum will be organized. Conference is technically co-sponsored by the IEEE Communication Society (ComSoc) and the Symposium is organized in cooperation with the IEEE ComSoc Technical Committee on Green Communications and Computing (TCGCC).
The topic of "green networking" is attracting growing attention for economic, energetic, and environmental reasons. The rapidly increasing amount of power consumed by ICT, as well as the energy bills of service providers, contributes to the economic reasons. According to a number of studies, ICT alone is responsible for between 2 and 10% of world power consumption, due to the ever-increasing diffusion of electronic devices. Communication networks, including the Internet and wireless networks, represent a non-negligible part of the energy consumption of ICT. In addition, the carbon footprint of ICT devices due to energy consumption and the activities related to their entire lifecycle contributes to global warming.
In the very last years, energy-saving techniques are being considered for communication networks with new generation devices and network management approaches exploiting algorithms and protocols for adapting the network to the varying traffic load. The Symposium on "Green Networking and Computing" aims to serve as a platform for researchers and visionaries from academia, research labs, and industry from all over the world. Sharing ideas, views, results, and experiences in the field of green wired and wireless networking is what the "Green Networking and Computing" Symposium is intended to be about. Anything from theoretical and experimental achievements to innovative design and management approaches, prototyping efforts, and case studies is of interest.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to the following:
• Power consumption models of networking infrastructure
• Power measurements and data from empirical studies of communication networks
• Techniques for reducing power consumption in data centers
• Hardware and architectural support for reducing power consumption
• Energy efficient network management
• Green network design
• Applications of green networking technologies and principles
• Cross-layer optimizations for reducing energy consumption
• Optimization of energy consumption in optical networks
• Energy-efficient protocols and protocol extensions
• Energy-efficient transmission technologies
• Energy-efficient peer-to-peer networking and overlays
• Energy-efficient cloud computing
• Green wireless access networks
• Green wired access networks
• Green future Internet
• Energy cost models for network operators
• Energy-efficient sensor networks
• Renewable energy sources for wired and wireless access networks
• Antenna design and transmission technologies for reducing energy consumption
Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings and indexed in the IEEE Xplore.